Young children learn a great deal about the world around them through listening. They listen to different sounds and must rely on their listening skills for following directions at home and in school.
You can help your child become a better listener by encouraging your youngster to:
• Listen to sounds, stories, riddles and rhymes.
• Identify sounds made by animals and objects found in the home and outdoors.
• Follow a sequence of three instructions. For example: “Put on your shorts, wash your hands, and turn off the lights.”)
• Repeat a nonsense sentence. (For example: “I saw a green cat driving a truck!”)
• March to music.
• Play musical instruments while listening to music